Thursday, June 15, 2006

Cash Game Hand

Im going to skip part 3 of the series entitled "rebuy madness". I may get back to it at some point but who knows. This hand come up when i was 8 tabling .25/.50 NL. The way i played it was very different then i would normally play. I trusted my instincts and my read and in the long run, saved me half my stack to play on with.

Seat 5: trixter23 ($52.45 in chips)
Seat 6: Nazareen ($52.35 in chips)

RAISE trixter23 , $2 to $2.50

I pick up KK UTG and make a 5x the blind raise. At the .25/.50 level you see many robots. Who only raise with monsters or AK and AQ. I switch up my play and raise and re raise with suited connectors or i flat call with kings or aces. You have to switch up your play or you become predictable to your opponent.

RAISE Nazareen, $2.50 to $5

The guy immediately to my left MINI raises to $5. Right now bells are going off in my head. To warrant a re raise on this level he has to have a monster. AA, AK or KK come to mind. Yes he can have KK. I think about and figure im 90% sure he has aces and 5% for AK/KK. Only $2.50 more to call i decide to put the money in to see if i can get lucky and catch a king if he doesnt have KK that is.

Flop: (Pot: $10.75) As Kh Td

Well now this is going to be very interesting. He doesnt have KK since i just flopped one. I HIGHLY doubt and hope hes not re raising me with QJ. So that leaves AK and AA. Im going to go with my read here. Instead of check calling, i bet into him. Yes, you heard me right. If he does have aces if i bet into him hes more than likely to smooth call till the river. I want to control how much i'm going to lose on this hand. So i make small "value" bets toward the pot. Would you be able to lay down Kings at this point?

BET trixter23 , $3
CALL Nazareen, $3

Turn: (Pot: $16.75) As Kh Td 4d

The turn puts a diamond draw on the board. But if my read is right he cant be on it. So i fire a bet 1/4 the size of the pot.

BET trixter23 , $4
CALL Nazareen, $4

River: (Pot: $24.75) As Kh Td 4d 9h

There is $25 dollars in the pot. I don't want to check and have him bet, to put me in decision making mode and have to call $25 more for an all in. So i bet $5 into a $25 dollar pot. He doesn't hesitate and re raises to $15. Thus making the pot around $40. To call $10 more dollars to win the size of that pot is nothing. The problem is i know im beat. Do you guys call $10 more dollars to take this pot down? Before i get to that part this chat ensued on the table.

BET trixter23 , $5
RAISE Nazareen, $10 to $15

trixter23 said, "did u really flop 3 aces"
trixter23 said, "i think u did"
trixter23 said, "devil this is sick"
EVDevil03 said, "yeah i know"
trixter23 said, "i have to pay him off"
AArbrad3 said, "jq"

I dont know what the guy saying QJ was thinking. Did he watch the whole hand? I make the call and our read was dead on.

trixter23 : shows (three of a kind Kings)
Nazareen: shows (three of a kind Aces)

The way i played the hand was very uncommon. I stuck with my read and controlled the betting throughout the hand. If i played it like i had the nuts, i would have been out of my whole stack. Well i cant say that because i had him covered by 10 cents. Im happy this was a cash game hand rather than a tournament hand. If it was a tournament hand i probably would have gone bust. Im interested to hear from you guys how i played this hand, and how you might have played it differently. Here is the link to the hand from pokerhand.org.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?372235

No comments: