Tuesday, June 27, 2006

AC Trip Report

The night before i went down to AC, we had home game action. To make a long story short after a 1 hour 35 minute heads up battle with nick i took it down for $200. It's always nice to get a little bit extra spending money on the way down to AC.

So we got down to AC around 12 and couldnt check into our rooms until about 1-ish. So we decided to go down to the hilton and register for the $40+10 tourney they had starting at 2pm. I haven't seen the new poker room there yet. I must say they put it together pretty nicely. We got our registration complete and went to check in. Luckily we did that pretty quickly because we just made our tables to start the tournament. I didn't know the structure for this tournament. I found out we're only starting with 3k in chips, so if i dont build a stack in the early going this is going to be a short tourney. About 20 minutes in i looked for Barry and Tom at their tables and they were no where to be found. They busted out apparently.

I started out pretty aggressively taking stabs at mid sized pots that no one wanted to take. On one instance i picked up TT in the UTG+2 and raised it up to 300 with blinds at 50/100. A guy in mid position calls and we see a flop of 8 6 2. I bet out 450 on the flop and the guy raised to 900. I just jam the pot and go all in for 2500 more. He says "i probably have ya but ill let it go". I'm guessing A8 or so. I continue my aggression and have about 5200 in chips.

I then get moved to a new table. Blinds are at 200/400 at this point and on the button i get AK. There really wasnt any significant big stacks at my table other than 1 other guy who had slightly more than myself. So now i see UTG+1 limp for 400, UTG+2 limp for 400, MP limp for 400, Cutoff limp for 400. Combined with the blinds thats 2400 in the pot without my chips in there. I raised to 2000 hoping to take down the pot right there and then and increase my stack size about 40%.

Everyone folds around to the MP player who goes all in for 4k total. Then it folds around back to me. So this guy limps in, then thinks his hand is good enough to go all in with. You see this being done online all the time and people showing garbage. If he had a had like JJ-AA he would have re-popped the pot when the UTG players limped in. He could have 22-99 and think i was just trying to steal the pot. He leaned back in his chair like he had a good hand. So i called and he flipped over 88. The guy to his left said, that guys not gonna be happy i folded an 8. The flop comes A K 3, and im in very good shape. That is until the turn brought the last 8 in the deck and i didnt catch an Ace/King and i was crippled down to 1200.

A few hands later i get JJ. The guy next to me raises and i just jam the pot. He calls and flips over QQ and i dont improve and go out.

Altogether i didn't like the amount of starting chips that we had, but being a newer poker room they dont have as many dealers to commit to the tourney when they're only getting $10 out of everyone.

I'll write about everything else later

3 comments:

PearlSnapMan said...

I'm going to AC for the first time in August. What poker rooms do you think I should check out? I'm looking to play mostly cash games ($1/$2 NLHE) but SnGs aren't out of the question. Any good suggestions on where to go? Any input would be great, thanks.

trixter23 said...

You'll see my story about harrah's in my next post, i like the taj, caesars and showboat. If you want to play tourneys showboat is the place to be if you dont want to go nuts with buyins. daily 11 and 7 for 50 total, and 2pm for 20 rebuys. If i dont go out to vegas i might be down in august also

trixter23 said...

Also forgot to mention showboats structure is awesome, 5k starting chips for 50 bucks rules