Friday, June 30, 2006

AC Trip Report 2

We all had comps at harrah's at 1 of the cafe's so we went there for lunch. After lunch considering the poker room is right next to the cafe, barry and i sat down at a $1/$2 NL table.

The rest of the table didn't know barry and i knew each other. This will be signifant later for reasons ill state. No we dont collude, but nor do we play pots against each other usually. At harrah's max buy-in for 1/2 is $200 so i bought in for that amount. I took a look around the table and see about all average stacks ranging from 150-300 stacks, but this 1 guy had a stack of about 11 black $100 chips. So i thought to myself, either this guy is pretty good or hes a super donk who is getting lucky. I guess ill find out in a little bit.

First couple of hands i folded to get a read at the table a little bit. The 2nd hand i was there the guy next to me open raised to $30! Right then and there i thought this was going to be bad. I should have picked up my chips and left. Now i know opening raises live are a little on the high side, but thats 15x the blind. Thats getting ridiculous. I asked what he had that he could be raising so much just to see if he would budge, and he flipped over AK.

After that hand i was kind of giggling to myself. Approximately 15-20 hands later i pick up 6c 7c on the button. The guy with a huge stack made a small raise to $10. I flat called and both the blinds fold. The flop comes 2c 5h 8c. He makes a standard continuation bet of $18. Now against an overpair of any kind im almost a 60-40 favorite here. With this guy having a huge stack, i can double up through him. I haven't played with him enough yet to know if hes paying off hands or really what hes been doing. So i raise it up to $50. Which keep in mind is 1/4 of my stack. He calls my raise.

The turn brings the 10s. He just checks here to me. If he thought i was on a draw he definitely wouldn't have checked. So the nice guy that i am, i give myself a free card and check behind. The river brought the Kh. Then the guy asks how much i have left, and i told him about $150 or so. He bets out $90 and after doing some hollywood i fold. What he had really doesnt matter, but i played the hand pretty normal and ill usually win that most of the time.

This next hand is the one that really set me off. Again the guy with the huge stack makes a raise of $12 UTG. I get dealt KK on the button and smooth call not wanting to give away my big hand. Again everyone folds and we go to the flop. It comes Qd Jh 6s. I dont really like this flop too much because i dont have enough to push him off his hand if hes on a straight draw with KT or AK, etc etc. He makes yet another cont bet of $25 and i re pop to $75. If he comes over the top im not sure what i would have done but he smooth calls here. The next card brings an Ac. He checks and i bet out $25. He mini raises to $50. Now if you saw one of my last posts, where i flopped a set of kings against a set of aces the guy mini raised pre flop to signify his monster. I wasn't so sure this guy had one. The river brings a blank and he checks. Why would he check? What hand could he have that he can re raise me on the turn and not bet the river? With an Ace Queen and Jack out there im not betting anyway and i check. And here comes the shocker, he flips over A4.

I almost fell off my chair. I made a casual comment of "nice flop" and flipped my kings. He said well i had the Ace of diamonds with the diamond draw. I was like "um, it was a rainbow flop pal and you only had 1 diamond." This conversation was going on after the hand was cleared from the board and he wanted to argue with me that i was wrong. I had about $25 bucks left and instead of pick up my chips and leave i went all in blind. And of course a $25 dollar raise warrants a call from the guy next to me with T7. I got up and was walking from the table and i said "barry watch for the A4 its the new nuts".

I'm guessing they didn't know who i was talking to because after i had left, everyone at the table (not including barry obv) said that i had no business at the table and i was afraid of losing money. Even the dealer said this. My first reaction was to go back in the poker room and give them a piece of my mind but i wanted to be a bigger person and just let it go.

Sometimes you get these idiots and you can't do anything about it except to just walk away. I know i was a better poker player than any of those people at the table and if i know that, that's all that matters.

This post is getting long and its 5:30 in the morning AND ON TOP OF THAT, sigh my TT just lost to J8 all in pre flop, when the guy caught a flush. What is stars coming to!?!? Anyway, next post ill talk about the 11 am tourney the next day at the showboat.

And if you dont have a stars account already, check on the right of the page and sign-up!

No comments: