Monday, April 16, 2007

3 interesting hands with Aces

I was playing a little bit before and 3 types of hands all involving Aces came up. I believe a big leak in some players' games is not being able to fold AA when they know they're beat. The problem with me is that I usually get in ahead with them and get sucked out on. Lets get to the 3 hands and some analysis.

To set the situation, I had just sat down at this table. I recognized 1 person which is kind of irregular for this time of the day. 1 orbit had passed before this hand had come up. So my image was clean to everyone, unless they had prior hands with me. I don't recognize the player who was in the hand with me either. Had no PT stats on him, so I was going to have to go by feel and reads alone.

SB ($123.20)
Hero ($115.55)

Preflop: Hero is CO with As, Ad.
3 folds, CO raises to $4, 1 fold, SB calls $3.50, 1 fold.

We get AA in the cutoff and make my standard raise to $4. The small blind cold calls and we go to the flop.

Flop: ($9) Kc, Qh, 5s (2 players)
SB checks, CO bets $6, SB raises to $12, CO raises to $30, SB calls $18.

Ok so we get a decent flop for our hand. I make a standard continuation bet of $6 into the $9 pot. Then I'm met with an insta-mini raise. This was very very quick. I thought he had either a weak King and wanted to see where he was at, maybe even a smaller pair. I couldn't rule out a Queen or even a set here. We don't know this player at all. Folding here really isn't an option. Calling is acceptable, but I don't want to play the hand from a passive position. I currently have position on him and want to keep it that way. I want to be the one dictating the action. I believe the right play here was to raise. When I look at this hand, my raise may have been kind of small. A 2.5x 4 bet seems pretty strong to good players. Then again we don't know this guy.

Turn: ($69) Kh (2 players)
SB bets $15, Hero calls $15.

Probably one of the worst cards in the deck. At this point I wasn't really beating too much. I had a Queen, 5, any under pair, or a complete bluff beat. If he had the King, he caught up to me. After he called my 4 bet on the flop I was pretty sure I was done with the hand if a sizeable bet came on the turn. Here he comes out with a weak lead of $15. He saw me raise the flop, so he knows I have a hand. Either he has a complete monster and he wants me to raise again, he's scared of the king, or he doesn't think his hand is good anymore and wants to get to a showdown. When a player usually makes this bet I raise again if I have a solid read on the person. Otherwise I'll just call as I did here.

River: ($99) 3s (2 players)
SB bets $40, Hero folds.

Wow, well I was kind of surprised to see this bet on the river. I just don't think a player who doesnt have a hand bluffs this at all. Lets go back to what we beat, Queen, 5, under pair, or a bluff. The way he played it makes me think that I'm looking at KQ, KJ, AK, set of 5s, set of Qs. From his point of view, I raised pre, 4 bet the flop, flat called the turn. What hand is he putting me on? I made the decision to lay it down, because I thought there was too many hands working against me here. Let's see what he had.

Final Pot: $139

SB shows [Jc Tc] (a pair of Kings)

I was extremely surprised by this. I'm not sure how he 3 barrels me after how I had played the hand. The whole reason I put the 4 bet out on the flop was to get rid of hands like these. Other than an ace, this was the best card for him on the turn. If a 9 comes I'm probably folding. Ace hits and I'm getting my stack in. I don't think villain played the hand well at all, he got extremely lucky with the King on the turn so he could rep that atleast. In the long run, this is a losing play in my opinion.

The 2nd hand here happened when I converted over to 50NL 6 max. I play pretty aggressively at 6 max which has its ups and downs. Again I was only at the table a couple of hands and had no real read on any of these guys. The guy to my right(button) was extremely loose/passive. Meaning he would love to see flops, but would play the very weak and fold almost every time.

CO ($39.05)
Button ($52.65)
Hero ($60.45)
BB ($30)
UTG ($89.25)
MP ($46.25)

Preflop: Hero is SB with As, Qc.
1 fold, MP raises to $2, 1 fold, Button calls $2, SB raises to $7.5, 1 fold, MP raises to $13, Button folds, Hero calls $5.50.

Ok, here is a squeeze play I was going to make. As I said previously, the button was weak, so I thought if I could get past the original raiser I would be fine. If not, no problem. We would play the hand accordingly from there. When it gets back to MP we get another re raise to $13. These little mini raises are so bad. It was only $5 more so i had to make the call. It's safe to say here we're putting him on something big. AA KK QQ and AK are the hands you typically see here. I'm folding to a flop bet about 80% of the time.

Flop: ($28.50) Ks, 7s, 6s (2 players)
SB bets $22, MP raises to $33.25, Hero calls $11.25.

Wow ok, now we have a decision to make. Putting him on those hands would he fold to a large bet here? AA he has no redraw and staring 3 spades and a King in the face. KK has to be in my range here. If he has KK though, hes just not folding. QQ, I could get him to fold. AK its player based. He would have TPTK, but no redraw either. The problem is if I fire out a bet here, I'm committed to the hand. I thought about it for a couple secs then I fired 22 into the 28.50 pot. Villain jams and I call.

Turn: ($95) Tc (2 players)

River: ($95) 5c (2 players)

Final Pot: $95

Hero has As Qc (high card, ace).
MP has Ah Ad (one pair, aces).
Outcome: MP wins $95.

Well he had Aces obv. I think i was a 3-2 dog here on the flop. The turn gave me 4 extra outs. But for stars I had too many outs. This may be a reason why I have been losing lately at this level. They just dont fold lol. Another part of this hand that was amusing was his chat afterwards.

said, "you really tricked me there i thought you had a set of kings"

said, "lol"

said, "you are such a trixter"

trixter23 said, "i thought i could get u to lay down a big hand with no redraw"

trixter23 said, "i had outs, oh well"

said, ""lay down a big hand" i don't resect any of you that much"

said, "respect"

trixter23 said, "u got called by a 4 bet ur staring at 3 spades on a flop and put me on KK and a king flops"

trixter23 said, "respect or not, you went with it anyway"

trixter23 said, "i dont think it was a good call"

trixter23 said, "but u won gl"

said, "no very good call it doesn't matter if i think you have KK"

said, "you rocks think AK is the nuts"(As I was playing 28/23)

I just thought this guys reasoning was a little bit funny on that hand. To the last hand. This one was pretty straight forward.

CO ($49.25)
Button ($38.40)
Hero ($52.05)
BB ($68.80)
UTG ($79.75)
MP ($92.15)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Ad, Ac.
UTG calls $0.50, 2 folds, Button calls $0.50, SB raises to $2.5, BB calls $2, UTG calls $2, Button calls $2.

AA in the sb with limpers, raise it upppppppppp. Not particularly happy with having to play this hand out of position against 3 callers.

Flop: ($10) Ah, 8s, Th (4 players)
SB bets $5.5, BB raises to $15, UTG folds, Button folds, SB raises to $49.55, BB calls $34.55.

That's a pretty good flop for Aces. No reason to slowplay here. It's a drawy board and we want to get in and out as quick as possible. We meet a nice raise out of the big blind here. KQh J9h 888 and TTT come to mind here. But I kind of forgot how bad people play down low.

Turn: ($109.10) 5s (2 players)

River: ($109.10) 9h (2 players)

Final Pot: $109.10

Hero has Ad Ac (three of a kind, aces).
BB has As Kh (one pair, aces).
Outcome: Hero wins $109.10.

Ship the Money!

Comments on how you would played these hands would be cool.

2 comments:

lucko said...

Hand 1: Either call or reraise to $45ish. Raising $18 was pretty ugly IMO. Turn and River spots are gross, I think you have to toss it on the river.

Hand 2: I probably just put him all in on the flop. Not much difference though, so I basically play it the same.

Hand 3: Very standard.

trixter23 said...

ty for advice.