Saturday, October 14, 2006

Downfall....to Recovery

I'm pretty sure lucko passed his downswing over to me because last week i was completely off. It wasnt that i was playing bad, the cards weren't just going my way. You can't really do anything about it. When you flop middle set with Jacks, on a Kd Jc 6s board, then your opponent check raises you for all his chips with As 9s and catches runner runner to get his flush and knock you out, what are ya gonna do? No matter where i went on pokerstars i didnt stand a chance. Whether it was my bread and butter $10 sng's, turbo's, or cash games. I didn't have a chance in hell.

The problem was that i wasnt dropping limits, i was playing the $16 turbo's. Now i am easily bankrolled for these but i dont want to start playing them. So what did i do you ask? I cashed out all my money except for 50 buyins to play the $10 regular sng's exclusively. I have always been a player who can obide by great bankroll management. Well that didn't work out so well, considering i played the $30 deepstack and a few $20 sng's and found myself down to $417.

This is where you find out about yourself. You're in the worst downswing of your life, how are you going to react? Are you going to blow the roll? Are you going to keep playing and work through it? I chose to drop down limits once again to the $6 turbo's. This time i switched something around though. Instead of playing 3-4 i started playing 8-10 games at a time. This actually turned out to be a +EV decision. If you looked at my sharkscope stats last week, it was all - scores. Now everything is looking up again.

I'm not going to post stats, because they are good, but its a small sample size and i dont want to get ahead of myself. Everyone has their way of coping with a dowswing, hopefully yours wont be the end of your poker career.

1 comment:

lucko said...

Downswings are brutal.

Do you play the $5 rebuy any more?